Thursday, July 29, 2010

NOA

There is an organization called the National Onion Association (NOA).  They meet twice yearly in different places throughout the country, and this meeting happened to be in Portland, Oregon.  It is attended by farmers and lots of other people associated with the industry.   If you are furrowing your brow right now I completely understand.  I distinctly remember when Ryan and I were dating and he mentioned the NOA (and then had to clarify for me what exactly it was).  I was sort of chuckling  (okay really laughing) inside simply because it seemed rather odd to me.  A whole organization devoted to a vegetable that costs less than $1.00?  Weird.  Anyways, a lot has changed since then and now I appreciate onions as  the means to our livlihood.  I no longer see farmers as pitchfork toting, overall wearing old guys but rather saavy businessmen who go to college, dress totally normal and have a great love for agriculture.  All that to say, I had to devote a moment to explaining the NOA.  The first night of the meeting was a banquet and auction.  Our good friend Dan was the auctioneer and it was a blast.  Truth be told, I was thrilled to throw a dress on and get out of the house.  Great food, good friends and fabulous entertainment.  The second day included a Willamette Valley tour with a lunch stop at our shop for lunch.  Greg and Judy (Ryan's parents) hosted a fabulous lunch with 250 people, a catered lunch and an antique car show.  It was a really good time! 



2 comments:

Angela said...

You guys are SO cute!

Unknown said...

This actually looks like fun. I think I may join!