Monday, April 20, 2009

To have it altogether....

I struggle with the desire to seem like I 'have it altogether'. I like my kids to be dressed just right, my house to look just right, and my gifts to have perfect 'wire-ribbon' bows. I like perfectly themed birthday parties, dinner on the table, great thank-you cards, frames with completely updated pictures, and anything else you could imagine . Not only that, for some reason I want people to think it is natural and easy for me-which it's not!. No one sees behind the scenes where the truth lies. In actuality it takes me, my mom, Judy, a cleaning gal, and evening help to hold it altogether. Today I was laughing outloud as I looked around my house. It was an absolute disaster and I found myself thinking, "man, imagine if people could see what it is really like around here..!" Then I started thinking, "Why not?" "What's the big deal?"...so here it is. This is my house when I am unsuccessful at holding it together in a way that would I would like. On the bright side, the kids and I spent the whole morning outside playing and Logan and I planted sunflowers. I guess 'having it all together' is a matter of perspective...and now my secret is out. What a relief!
Breakfast and lunch dishes...at least the kids ate at both meals right?

5 comments:

Liz Schaecher said...

I feel the exact same way as you!!! Someday I will be brave too and post pictures of our destroyed house!! :) You do such a great job with your kiddos!

the Skips said...

love it love it love it. love the being real, girl!

Brandi said...

Wow, your post is how I feel...exactly! I try to do the same thing around my house and I have recently found out that I sell my kids short when I am obsessing about keeping my house neat all day long.

I'm glad you shared your "behind the scenes" life with me. It makes me feel a little better!

By the way, my email is mrs.olives@yahoo.com

Ann said...

I'm so proud of you, Tara! From someone who knows that even in high school you were a bit OCD, I hope you continue to enjoy the days with your precious kids. Trust me, there are so many more important things than a spotless house. In about 20 years, you'll have all the time you want to work on your house! (That is if you are not helping to clean up your own kids' homes!)

Angela said...

Great post Tara! I hope you guys are doing well and we get to see you soon! Love you!